Monday, March 1, 2010

Is Ahmad's religion guilty?

While reading Palace Walk, I noticed the extremely strict manner in which Ahmad treats Amina and his daughters. At first, I believed that all the men in the book didn’t allow their wives or daughters to go out into the street because of their religion or culture. As I kept reading the book, I realized that not all men kept the women enclosed in a house as if they were an object. For example, some of Ahamd’s friends and Amina’s father didn’t treat women this way. When Amina arrives to her mother’s house and tells her mother that Ahmad has kicked her out of her house, Amina’s mother says that it was dumb of him to kick her out just because she want out into the street. Her mother tells Amina, “Your father himself, who was a religious scholar and knew the book of God by heart, permitted me to go to neighbors’ homes and watch the procession of the pilgrims setting out for Mecca.”(202). Ahamd is just one of the many exceptions that makes every other Muslim look bad. Ahmad claims to be religious, but always does the contrary of what the Koran says. In an article I read called, The truth about Islam's view of women, I noticed that the Koran never encourages the beating of women or sleeping around with women. Although I do not agree with the way the arguments is carried out, I have to admit that some of the arguments are somewhat good. After reading the book and the article, I came to the conclusion that Ahamd is just an exception of the Islamic religion just the way Christians have exceptions too.



















Works Cited

Mahfouz, Naguib. Palace Walk. New York: Anchor, 1990

"The Truth about Islam's View of Women, Both In Itself and Compared to the Bible's View of Women" Feb. 27, 1020.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent use of research, Marixa. It looks like you forgot to post this on Moodle -- oops.

    ReplyDelete