Thursday, February 10, 2011

The inner life of an artist

Okay so we all know that I am big on the inner-self and that I love psychology. While reading this book, that is all that I really focused on.. I found it really relatable and I learned some things through our discussions. So this is what this post is going to be talking about mainy is ono and his journey to recolect with himself.

This whole book I found as a journey of finding and reconsiliation. Masuji Ono is the artist who has taken the hard road of life. Wanting to become an artist at a young age and having his paintings looked down upon by his father took a toll on him as he looks back on it. Also the whole guilt trip of Japan losing the war, because he feels that he was an antagonist to the war, the fact that his son and his wife died because of the war made the guilt that much stronger. 

Throuhout the book Ono goes on this personal journey and along the way he eventually comes to terms with himself. From the arguing with his daughters and the talks he has had with his nephew he has gone on this journey. Acceptance was a big thing that Ono had to face. He had to face his responsiblities of his actions in the war. If the war wasn't enough for him, Japanesse culture was drastically changing right before his eyes because of the westernization of the americans and Ono, wasn't willing to accept this. I can relate because even now it is hard for us to accept change. Like every person in this world over time we accept chang in our lives and towards the end of the book Ono finally accepts the fact that the culture has changed, yet it doesn't want to be a part of it. He states in the last sentences of the book "One can only hope for the best for these young people." When he says that he still feels out of place from these poeple, which he sould because he is from a different era. Yet he doesnt want to conform to the change.

In a way I can relate to what Ono is going through because as of now I am going through my own personal  journey.  Throughout the book Ono is looking back on his life or like to see it as reflecting. I reflect on my life as well and through my reflection a grow a little bit and I learn to accept some things that have gone on through my life and I have also learned to appreciate the thngs in my life, Ono does this as well. He learnes to appreciate his talents as an artist and that what he has done was the right thing to do even though it has had its downfalls. he also learned to appreciate his family: his daughter and niece, he has also learned to appreciate his sensei and his students. Which I can also relate with.

The main thing that really had me liking this book was the fact that Ono is reflecting on his life. I think that it was one of the strong aspects of the book.

4 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting how you see everything as a whole; You look from the time Ono himself was younger. Remember how his dad told him it was not a honorable career path to choose? We can vouch for both sides of this question but you also bring a good point by saying he's reflecting all the things he has done. It's like the song by The Killers where they say, " I got soul, but I am not a soldier..." the whole point is that everyone needs help coming to terms with themselves. Ono needed to reflect; speak what he couldn't not express before to us[ the reader].

    ReplyDelete
  2. When you were talking about the book earlier I don't know why I felt like I got the idea that Ono is ready to go on to the next life. And I agree with Lore that you are a big picture person. This whole book has been the big picture of Ono's life. Throughout the whole book he is reflecting on his story and his successes and failures. Pun intended... I think that this is the "big picture" of his life. The "big picture" is a painting that he has been painting all of his life. His life has been this painting that has changed and changed over time but now has become a masterpiece, his life.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like how you relate to the book. As I read your blog I thought about it and thought of the many times the person I am supposed to call Dad has yelled at me for not meeting the expectations he has for me in certain things. Ono is a very complex character who throughout the book changes and is good that you went back to the beginning which is weird because in the book it tries to do that but ends up jumping around. I agree with both Lore and Rebecca in the way they view how Ono has changed overtime to become who he is. Us teenagers going through this journey know how crazy it is. I see Ono as someone who had dreams who were damaged with the war but also enhanced by the war. He had his climax during the war and once it was over he wants to go back to change it but he shouldn't because life should be lived without regrets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well first off I don't think Ono was an antagonist towards the war because his paintings were patriotic so obviously he was kind of advertising the war. I agree with you about him feeling guilt for the loss of his wife and son. He feels that way because he thinks his paintings made people do things they wouldn't have done, when in reality these people probably already had the idea of doing whatever they were going to do to encourage the war. This encouragement for war went to an extra level and Ono feels that probably that level is what killed part of his family.
    In this fantasy of his, he doesn't want to admit he had much involvement in the war when reality he feels like he did. He doesn't want to admit this because he doesn't want to take responsibility for it. Ono thinks his paintings had a huge impact in all japanese culture. In the beginning of the war, he wanted all his students to be patriotic as he learned to be. When some of his students started taking a different approach in their paintings later on, he didnt want this because he wanted the war to be important, in other words to count. He didn't want his wife and son's death to be in vain. Towards the end of the book, he accepts that japanese culture, other artist, are going to be painting or doing stuff that seems more westernized. He accepts it but he doesn't want to be involved all the way like you already mentioned. He is no longer stuck between the bridge of hesitation, he has crossed over.

    ReplyDelete