Thursday, January 20, 2011

Father to Daughter

Father to Daughter
As a child I grew up in a household where everybody (the children ) was treated more or less the same. We got the same food, the same education, even the same punishments mostly. In Kazuo Ishiguras novel, “An Artist of the Floating World”, Sensei Ono-sans two daughters, Noriko and Setsuko don’t seem to have had it quite the same as I did.
Its apparent from the beginning of the novel that Noriko and Setsuko are two very different people with two very different personalities. The very way they carry themselves and speak is evidence to the fact. “Im relieved you’ve come home at last Setsuko. You’ll take father off my hands a little”(13). Though Noriko says this to her elder sister in a playful manner the comment still puts Setsuko in an uncomfortable position. The very thought of insuting her father is unnerving to her. After every retort Ono-san gives it seems like Setsuko responds with “forgive me “ or “please excuse me”. The apologies implement the idea that she is scared of her father and of what he might do if her were to become insulted by her. Where as it seems Noriko is the exact opposite of her sister. She is outspoken and impulsive. “Ill have enough to do without father to look after.” (14). What was it or what is it that made these two sisters who grew up in the same household behave so differently from one another? I believe that Setsuko was obviously treated differently from her sister, probably much more harsh and that is what has given her such a submissive attitude and demeanor. Noriko even says to Setsuko “Theres no need to be afraid of him any more. He’s much more gentle and domesticated.” (13) What is it she is so afraid of?
Ultimately Noriko is the obvious favorite which is evident through her almost arrogant speech, while Setsuko had a much harder time. She was as the elder daughter the guinea pig of Ono-sans rage and Noriko being the second got the more compassionate of their father.

5 comments:

  1. Apparently Noriko seems to be more of a rebel and Satsuko has more of a submissive view towards her father. The novel shows Mr. Ono as a laid back old man, but even I was shocked at the thought that she would talk about her father. Perhaps in a playful manner Noriko means no harm, but one can see that a father, well not Mr. Ono, would be in disfavor of such behavior and disrespect. Yet, I'll ask, Do you believe the war had something to do with how Ono changed his perspective on things? If so, perhaps that's what gives Noriko the confidence to be rebellious?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The two personalities are very distinct, I agree. Although, I do disagree with your statement about Ono being more compassionate. I think that could be a bit better put -worded. Yes, Ono is a lot calmer and has a bit less of the "machismo" character, but it is more of an adjustment. I see the compassion he has towards his daughters, but now that Setzuko is married and the whole war era occurred he is a bit more conservative towards his girls. He still has that manly sense when he is around his grandson, and when he becomes upset. For example when Setzuko,Noriko,Ichiro and him were at the dinner table and Ichiro ran off he spoke his mind to his daughter. I feel he has just changed his character in a way to cope with the changes he notices in his district. I agree with Alex in the aspect of Ono changing his perspective because of the war. I disagree with his statement about Noriko being rebellious. Again, I think it may just be it wasn't the best way to put things, but I just see Noriko as more direct. She is speaking out and that isn't very "traditional". Noriko is just a bit stronger because her life wasn't as planned out at Setzuko's. It seems to me Noriko has simply taken charge; not to be rebellious but simply because she sees the changes and does what she has to in order to get through the days.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that even though both daughters were raised the same we still have to consider that they are different people living in different environments. I have grown up in the same house hold as my sister, yet we are both very, very different. I also agree with Alex when he asks if the war might have something to do with their differences. I think that one of the biggest differences has to be that Setzuko is married and she might treat her father differently. I also think that since Noriko had to become the mom of the house after she lost her mother, she was able to see her father in different eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't necessarily believe Noriko is the favorite. I compare Noriko and Setzuko to the relationship between my sister and me. I am the eldest. As you said I was technically the guinea pig. With my sister, they knew more or less what to expect and what they would do.

    My sister seems to always seek attention, similar to Noriko. When she expresses her thoughts about her father, she seems to be poking at her sister. She wants her to know that it's not easy but she's doing it. It seems Noriko wants her sister to be jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with Lucy in the fact that Noriko is not necessarily being rebellious. Just because she is direct, does not mean that she is disrespectful. The two sisters just happen to have very different personalities. Noriko being more opinionated and Setzuko being more conservative.

    Now going back to Shomari's question of how these two sisters can be so different, I believe that in some cases the way you are raised does not have anything to do with your character or way of being. Like, Marissa I can also relate Noriko and Setsuko to me and my sister. We were both raised the same way, yet we are very different.

    ReplyDelete