Thursday, April 15, 2010

Gods

In the play The Good Woman of Setzuan written by Bertolt Brecht we see how the people are hopeful that gods will help them with the problems that they have. What I find to be the satire about this is that most people only talk about one god but in this play there seems to be multiple gods. This quote reminds me so much of Greek Mythology and that’s one of the reasons I was attracted to it.
“And I hear from the cattle merchant- who travels a lot- that some of the highest gods are on their way here at this very moment. Informed sources have it that heaven is quite disturbed at all the complaining. I’ve been coming out here to the city gates for three days now to bid these gods welcome. I want to be the first to greet them” (5).
For many years we have heard of how gods help the less fortunate and it was believed in Greek Mythology that gods would take the form of a human and visit earth every time that they pleased. Gods are suppose to be the saviors and just fix anything that is wrong anywhere. This quote reminded me so much of Greek mythology because of the fact that there were three gods coming down to earth in a human form. That is something that I had only heard of from previous Greek mythology books that I had read my freshman year. For example in the Odyssey we see how one Greek go, can’t really remember which one, comes down to earth and takes the form of a human to speak to Odysseus’ son. That’s the same thing that this quote shows gods come down as humans and the humans are hoping that they can fix everything. The only difference is that with the Greek gods people didn’t know about them and here in this play people knew that the gods were coming.

Brecht, Bertolt. The Good Woman of Setzuan. New York: Grove, 1966. Print.

No comments:

Post a Comment