Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Omniscient?

As I read this section of the book, the idea that I continually saw to be satirized was the idea of the gods. In my personal beliefs, 1) I only believe in one God and 2) He's omniscient. So in my personal life, I carried that over as I was reading this book, and I took it to be fact that the gods in this book would be omniscient as well. But, as I read a lot of the scenes where the gods were involved, it seemed that they themselves didn't know what was going to happen even more than any other character would. This happens several times, but the exchange between the gods and Wong on page 40 is where I really started to have doubts:

Wong: It does. She's doing good deeds all the time.
First God: Ah? What sort? What sort of good deeds, Wong?
Wong: Well, she has a kind word for everybody.
First God (eagerly): And then?
Wong: Hardly anyone leaves her shop without tobacco in his pocket--even if he can't pay for it.

I decided to just put a snippet in there, but really what I was trying to say is that if they don't even know what's going on down on earth, what makes them such an authority to tell what's good and bad, or who's a good or bad person? For me to believe that you're some kind of "god", then show yourself approved. Maybe I need to know a little bit more about this culture before I say that, but right now, I'm not convinced that they're true gods and true judges of character. That doesn't mean that I don't believe Shen Te is a good person because I think she is a wonderful person. In fact, I think she's the best and most moral person in the book so far.

So, personally, I think the whole idea of the omniscient quality of a god is being satirized in this section of the book.

2 comments:

  1. Well, first off from a Christian standpoint, I must say that I believe that there is only "one" true omniscient God, but in the context of the play, I believe that these "gods" deal, like they said, with the big picture and not with specifics. I think that like God, these gods allow people to make their own decisions and let life play out in order to observe the outcome. When I looked at the fact that the gods came in search of a good person, it reminded me of a story in the bible when God told one of his follwers to go into a city and seek out those who were "admirable" and they found only few, and because of the few, many were salvaged from distruction that was to come. Unlike God, I don't think these gods were omniscient.

    ReplyDelete