Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Possible Satire...

"Mr. Shin: I've got to have it. Strip the clothes from my back and then cut my throat, will you? I know what I'll do: I'll dump my children on your doorstep!" (13)

Not only this strange piece of (what I regard as sacarsm) writing boggles my mind a bit, but the obvious recognition of the book's characters; they are all named after their occupation: Brother, Wife, Husband, and my favorite- An Old Whore. At this point I don't know what exactly the writer had in mind when "naming" his characters. Is it all part of the satire play? Or are they just names in the simplest form created for the audience to be able to follow along easily? I as a reader found myself lost and could not picture the characters in my head...maybe the names are too generic?

No comments:

Post a Comment