Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Aisha's encounter

I love the book as a whole. The story is extremely interesting. The paragraph, among others, that quickly got my attention is chapter 5. Aisha's first encounter with the young police officer. Mahfouz uses detailed description. I could feel the excitement Aisha feels. In the second paragraph of the beginning of the chapter, Mahfouz writes "She sighed and closed the window, fastening it nervously as though hiding evidence of a bloody crime". The discription of her feeling afterwards gave me jitters in my stomagh. I know how it feels to have your heart divided into two emotions. You don't know if to feel scared or excited because you did something you could get in trouble for. I think over all this paragraph is a attention-seeker. Throughout the beginning of the book, Mahfouz first introduces the family and then starts talking about each individual's story. I like the plot he is using to build up to the climax.

2 comments:

  1. Page number for quotation?

    Work with the passage to show how the author is using pathos to work on the audience?

    Weren't you supposed to be farther along in the book by this point?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just figured out that this was an earlier posting.

    ReplyDelete