Friday, September 24, 2010

"This moment was one of the happiest of the mother's day. All the same, her anxiety that her men might be harmed by the evil eye knew no limits. She continued reciting reciting the Qur'anic verse " And from the mischief of the envious person in his envy" (113:5) until they were out of sight."

This passage to me is a perfect example of ethos. The way that Amina prays for her men as they leave the house shows how she is established, showing her caring, nurturing, and loving ways.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. This passage does clearly show the Amina's character: loving, caring, and nurturing. Why do you think the author structured this passage the way he did? What rhetoric elements were used in this passage to show the ethos appeal?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It would be nice to know exaclty where this came from. I don't know what (113:5) means. I agree with you, I feel though as if you didn't go deeper with this. I expected more analysis. Maybe, the fact that, yes she always prays for them and it shows that she is "loving, caring and nurturing", like Robert said, but she doesn't seem to get any of that in return. She is looked at almost like a maid. Yet, she loves her husband and family with unconditional love. That is what amazes me and shows true ethos.

    ReplyDelete