Tuesday, November 9, 2010

"Going To The Movies" - My analysis

The AP book says that the purpose of writing a classification essay is that through categorizing your topics to form a central thesis, we're are supposed to learn something we didn't expect to get out of the essay through an analysis. We're supposed to define our categories and what they mean to us and analyze to explain something to ourself.

In the classification essay, "Going To The Movies," the author, Susan Allen Toth, wrote about her experiences of going to the movies with different dates and compared them back to her own experience of going to the movies by her self. She analyzes throughout the essay and gets her point across, through classifying, that she wants a movie like type of date where they both like each other and care about each other deeply. Throughout her experiences, she always finds something wrong about her dates but she doesn't say it directly, she lets us figure it out through analyzing the experiences she classifies. She makes it clear that with all of her experiences she is always pleasing the date instead of herself and them pleasing her. Through her classifying each of her dates, she lets the reader know what kind of date experience she is looking for. All of her dates didn't care about her and they just worried about what they wanted and not so much of what she wanted.

I believe Toth used classification to explain what she wants through categorizing each of her dates to better explain to us that she wants better than what she has already had, but more so she wants someone to care about her and what she wants for once, similar to the experience she has with herself while fantasizing at the chick flick movies she watches. She wants an experience like the one's in love movies.

This relates to the way I wrote my classification essay because I just mocked her style of classifying, but in my essay I classified cars. I did so by breaking my essay into four parts: my car right now, the truck I want, and the little car I should get. Within each of the paragraphs I did as Toth did by explaing the qualities and experiences of being with the cars, just as she did with her dates. I explained three components within each paragraph: the feeling I get when I'm driving it, the expenses that it would cost me, and the opinions of me and my parents on the car I should get.

What my paper is lacking is the analysis, and this is so because after reading Toth's essay she left the analyzing for the reader and just wrote her classification, so I did the same. When I revise my essay, I'll be sure to explain why I'm classifying these cars and explain that the type of vehicle I have has a lot to do with my style, and I'll do so in my conclusion paragraph where I'd be analyzing.

1 comment: