Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Analyze, Analyze, Analyze

Scott Russell Sanders’ essay Looking At Women is an adequate representation of a cause and effect essay. He clearly illustrates the causes of looking at women. For example: he descriptively describes what women wear, how they walk, and the way their hair sways as the walk. He claims women dress up and get dolled up so that men may look at them. He uses personal anecdotes to describe why he looks at women. He illustrates how when he was smaller he noticed a women who “ as [his] mother would say, had just been poured into her pink shorts” (132). This caused the big, impacting effect that has been with him throughout his whole life. The reason I know that this special incident has effected him periodically is because he keeps bringing it up.
The most improtant thing he does is analyze at the end of his essay. This is one thing I struggle with when writing my cause-and-effect essay. I get stuck on stating the causes and effects that I forget to analyze and show the process and how it effected me. At the end of his essay you can almost see his thoughts while reading. You can see how he analyzes and thinks about his topic and what he wrote about. It seems as if he discovers something while writing his essay.

1 comment:

  1. Exactly! That's the way I feel when it comes to analyzing my topic as a cause and effect essay, for Sanders does use his own personal anecdotes to make the reader understand not only how the audience sees his point of view, but also the way he feels about the situation. Yet, for me it can be a little confusing for Sanders made it seem that relating one topic to the other can produce an effect, which then goes on with another cause is just plain complicated for me and for the papers I write.

    ReplyDelete